Chartreuse Knits

Where a college student learns--and struggles with--the zen of knitting. It's the process, not the product, though the product is much more fun to wear!

2.04.2006

101 Things in 1001 Days

Whilst surfing my blogroll, I came across this splendid Idea.

List nerd and bandwagon fiend that I am, I can't help but jump for joy at a project that's been in my mind for a long time, but has never found the time to materialize. What exactly is this project? Well friends, it is a project called 101 things in 1001 days. Apparently, much like the 52 books in 52 weeks project, the goal is to complete a certain number of things in a certain amount of time (duh!). However, many of these "overarching projects" involve a short period of time to complete a rather large amount of tasks. This "101 in 1001" project is a bit more manageable, in my opinion, since you're given 1001 days as opposed to 100 or so to complete a number of tasks. These tasks can be anything that you've been "meaning to do" or have "always wanted to do," but haven't really been able to accomplish in three months or whatever. This project gives you the freedom to plan and organize big events, little events, classes, or trips over a period of almost 2.75 years. For example, if you've always wanted to take a yoga class, it's perfectly possible that you can complete that task, without simultaneously having to manage 30 other projects at once.

That sort of flexibility appeals to me.

In addition, the goals you set for yourself should be tangible, definitive goals... not something vague like "lose weight" but something like, "get back to a size 8" or whatever. And it can be anything from "read something I've never read before" to "get married."

So I've decided to do 101 Things in 1001 Days. And my beginning date is March 1, 2006. That means that on October 6, 2008, I will have completed 101 things I've been meaning to do or have always wanted to do. I may keep a link in my sidebar to keep track of these projects, and those of you with an interest can join or watch along. Naturally, I don't pretend to be on the level of "Daily Guilt" in coolness or interest with my 101 in 1001, but I do hope to catalog my own progress, and maybe get other people interested as well.

Plus, it'll allow me to prove to myself that I can actually have the self discipline to accomplish a feat like this. Want to join?