Chartreuse Knits

Where a college student learns--and struggles with--the zen of knitting. It's the process, not the product, though the product is much more fun to wear!

2.19.2006

The Book List

Here is the list of the 50 books I want to read during my 101 in 1001. I was going to attempt 101 books, but I realized that for some, the approximate 10 days of reading per book would not be enough. Besides, 20 days per book is more doable, and I can get ahead more easily for times when I probably won't be able to read.

The list is incomplete as of now because I don't have my well-stocked bookshelf to look at and say "Ah-ha! I had forgotten about that one, and so I'll read it!" In addition, I'll admit that I have read a few of these books before, but either don't remember, or wish to re-read them (Lord of the Rings fits the latter, Alice in Wonderland fits the former). Also, if anyone has a recommendation of a book that I *must* read, I'll put it on here! Email me or post your recommendations in the comments!

So without further ado, here goes:

1. Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul – Douglas Adams
2. The Handmaid's Tale – Margaret Atwood
3. Sense & Sensibility – Jane Austen
4. The Wizard of Oz - Frank L. Baum
5. The Adventure of English – Melvyn Bragg
6. Angels and Demons – Dan Brown
7. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass – Lewis Carroll
8. Under the Black Flag – David Cordingly
9. Timeline – Michael Crichton
10. Little, Big – John Crowley
11. The Name of the Rose – Umberto Eco
12. Middlemarch – George Eliot
13. Middlesex – Jeffery Eugenides
14. The Jane Austen Book Club – Karen May Fowler
15. Love in the Time of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
16. Wives and Daughters – Elizabeth Gaskell
17. Faust – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
18. Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
19. Jude the Obscure – Thomas Hardy
20. Catch-22 – Joseph Heller
21. The Sand Man – E.T.A. Hoffmann
22. The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table – Oliver Wendell Holmes
23. Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man – James Joyce
24. The Phantom Tollbooth – Norton Juster (Complete: March 5, 2006)
25. Sons & Lovers – D.H. Lawrence
26. The Republic – Plato
27. All Quiet on the Western Front – Erich Maria Remarque
28. Midnight's Children – Sallman Rushdie
29. Ivanhoe – Sir Walter Scott
30. Pygmalion - George Bernard Shaw
31. The Road to Middle Earth and/or Author of the Century – Tom Shippey - recommended by Jeff R.
32. Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
33. The Fellowship of the Ring – J.R.R. Tolkien
34. On Fairy Stories – J.R.R. Tolkien
35. The Return of the King – J. R. R. Tolkien
36. The Two Towers – J. R. R. Tolkien
37. The Silmarillion – J.R.R. Tolkien
38. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Sir Orfeo, The Pearl – J.R.R. Tolkien
39. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court – Mark Twain
40. Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami - recommended by Kym
41. Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer - recommended by Erin D.
42. Snowcrash - Neil Stephenson - recommended by Jeff R.