Chartreuse Knits

Where a college student learns--and struggles with--the zen of knitting. It's the process, not the product, though the product is much more fun to wear!

12.18.2005

Baby It's Cold Outside!

Or, my scarves have gotten lots of use this winter!

A long-promised knitting update. Since it's light outside, and I'm still procrastinating, here are project specs and pictures of my most recent Finished Objects!

First, both Vintage Velvet and Ravenclaw #3 (for me) are done. Vintage Velvet needs to go through the wash for the semi-felting Muench Touch Me goes through, and once she's in that finished state, I'll show before and after photos for comparison.

If you've seen my stash, you'll observe that I tend to gravitate towards green yarn. I don't know what it is, but most of the yarn I own is green, though most of my clothing is not green. I don't even have any really green scarves in my closet, except the ribbon and angora ascot from earlier this year. Yet these scarves betray a different attraction: blues. Vintage Velvet is a glorious midnight blue, and Ravenclaw is a harmonious contrast of cool tones. If you're familiar with Harry Potter, you know where the scarf's design is from, but if you're not an HP fan, it's a pretty scarf combining this season's colours.


My warm, cheap, and beautifully long Ravenclaw Scarf:


Project Specs:

Begun: Um, a week before Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire came out, so I'm guessing the 13th or 14th.
Finished: November 18th, late in the evening
Pattern: atypically.knit Hogwarts Scarf, but with 24 rows of each colour as opposed to 22
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Dark Country Blue and Grey Heather
Needles: US 7 - 12" circulars
Comments: By scarf number 5, this one was very tedious. Each bar took me about an hour to knit, and I was knitting like a madwoman on this one, since it came down to the wire. The yarn was very inexpensive acrylic, and it pills a little, but it's very very soft, which redeems it in my book. I bought several 6 and 7 oz skeins to do all the scarves, (since both the Slytherin scarves and Ravenclaw scarves shared the silver CC) and I ended up having perfect amounts of the silver 7 oz skeins, including for the fringe. The 6oz MC skeins were not nearly enough. I ended up using about 1.4 skeins for the master colour on some scarves, which left me with plenty of odd balls here and there to finish the fringe on the various scarves.

It's a simple and elegant scarf, which I like, and despite my aversion to the miles and miles of stockinette in the round, I might make a PoA one eventually. It's very very easy, and as testimony to their simplicity, I knit most of these scarves whilst watching TV or a movie. Now, to balance out the mind-numbing nature of this scarf, I'm addicted to complicated cables. Go figure.