Chartreuse Knits

Where a college student learns--and struggles with--the zen of knitting. It's the process, not the product, though the product is much more fun to wear!

1.26.2005

Uh-Oh! Spaghetti-O's!

True to form, in my non-committal, lazy, and yet seriously overwhelmed way, I quit the HK knitalong for the time being. In all truth, I have WAAAY too much on my plate at the moment to complete adorable little projects within a specific time frame. I am still knitting, but am limiting myself rather severely until my homework's done.

Indeed, I must reprimand myself as parents do to elementary-school children ("No TV till the homework's done) by reminding myself that once the reading/writing/analyzing is complete and I am caught up, then and only then can I resume my knitting. What a nice delusion :)

In other news, today I was rather saddened in my Nutrition class. My professor was telling us about American "Portion Distortion" with food, indicating that when the FDA says 2 servings of meat a day, a serving of meat is the size of a deck of cards. For bread servings, a single slice of bread counts as a serving, 1/2 of a 2 oz (not the 4 oz ones found in bakeries) bagel is another serving. I have a profound and spiritual connection to eating and preparing food. I love trying new ingredients and making savory, tasty, and all-around yummy dishes. My professor may actually convince some people to begin eating disorders to follow the FDA food pyramid!

In all seriousness, however, I do agree that portion size is distorted, and that being wary of what one consumes is essential. Being an educated consumer is very important, but meticulous and fastidious approaches to serving sizes may actually cause more harm than good, in my opinion. I've known girls who followed the "calorie counting" routine, only allowing themselves 1600 calories a day. Even though they would eat a relative variety of foods, several of them became anemic and another became so obsessed with counting calories that apart from verging on anorexic, the girl had to undergo psychological treatment in order to undo the extreme obsession she had with counting.

In knitting news, I have only 2 projects on the needles, and hope to bring it down to 1 soon, so that my studies don't suffer that much anymore. These projects are a Slytherin scarf and a pair of socks (pattern from the December 2004 issue of Martha Stewart Living). The socks are for me, and I'm currently on sock number 2, and the scarf is for a good friend of mine, Laura. Well, I have class in about 20 minutes, and I don't want to be late! Have a great day everyone!