Chartreuse Knits

Where a college student learns--and struggles with--the zen of knitting. It's the process, not the product, though the product is much more fun to wear!

9.12.2005

Green Grows my Stash-o!

Another lame reference to a song, this time, "Green Grow the Rushes-o." My dorky and punster heritage is shining forth these days I guess. (My dad and grandfather are prolific, and, if you're in the mood, quite amusing, punsters).

Last Thursday, I went with my good friend Laura to pick up some magazines I got from a Freecycler. On our way back, she said, "Hey, wanna go to the yarn store?" Never one to pass up an opportunity to spend money on glorious things, I assented. And guess what I left with? Six skeins of Cascade 220, two in the light green and four in the dark green to make the Sesame Sweater from Magknits. Necessity being the mother of invention, and the yarn shop only having two skeins of the light green in stock, I'm going to make thinner stripes of the light green and thicker dark green. That sweater is so gorgeous, classic, and versatile. I will be searching for the perfect buttons shortly. Of course, the needles are for that sweater. I can't believe I didn't have any US size 6's. Wait, that's a lie. I did have size 6's from Spain, but it didn't really register that they were 6's since they're measured in mm. Oh well. One never can have too many needles, especially bamboo.

Next I picked up two balls of the Misti Alpaca Laceweight. OH. MY. GOD. It's soft, light, and thin! I may make a smaller version of the Spiral Shawl from Meg Swansen's "A Gathering of Lace" to initiate myself into the worlf of lace knitting. I've dabbled a little bit in lace knitting before, and indeed, took a class on it last semester. Should be fun and exciting.

Oh the possibilities! (Not to mention the strain on my wallet, but nevermind that, ^_^)