Chartreuse Knits

Where a college student learns--and struggles with--the zen of knitting. It's the process, not the product, though the product is much more fun to wear!

9.15.2005

Dragon Scale Armwarmers

Well, yesterday's post is about to be revealed:

After seeing my Wyvern Socks, my dear friend Laura suggested that I make some arm warmers with the Dragon Scale pattern. "Those'd be some wicked gauntlets," she said. I figured it would be quite simple: a tube with a thumbhole, patterned with ribbing and the dragon scales. Her requirements were that it be quite lengthy (elbow length or longer). So I set to work on a pattern. I decided to add a little bit of shaping around the wrist, since, more often than not, the part of the forearm closest to the elbow is a bit wider than the palm of one's hand. Instead of working a buttonhole for the thumb, I decided to merely work the tube straight rather than in the round for one repeat, then close it again. Ribbing at the top and bottom add snugness.

The reason I haven't posted a pattern yet is because *ahem* I've only finished one gauntlet. I want to do a lovely little photo shoot with both of them, but as you see there, that is number 1.

Many thanks to Marnie MacLean for providing the original pattern from which I derived this one. She's great, friendly, and wonderful for allowing me make my own variation on a gorgeous design.

Happy Knitting!

Soon to come: a .PDF file of the pattern!